28 February 2012

oh blue heavens above, a walmart?!?

Coop Himmelb(l)au has long been of interest to me. They're based in Austria and much of their work has been built there. When I was in Vienna a few years ago, I did look at their rooftop residence near the Postsparkasse building by Otto Wagner; you can barely see it. I also went out to the Gasometer, some industrial buildings with new spaces by Coop Himmelb(l)au and others. The high school they designed in Los Angeles was almost finished when I was there last time and I went to look at it again this time. I was in Los Angeles for the College Art Association conference and am now sitting in a jetlag/redeye haze. Yesterday I was reading the freebie Downtown News and it said that Walmart is considering putting in one of their smaller stores in elderly housing across the street from the high school.
The better news from the Downtown News was that the Last Bookstore on Spring Street is going to expand!

No comments:

Post a Comment