09 April 2012

small world all o'er the place

Someone said in their Facebook feed that the world is small, based on some coincidence. I've been having those too recently ... as if it wasn't always the case. I just started reading Hadrian the Seventh about a peculiar Englishman who gets selected pope in the most peculiar way. I'm less than 200 pages into the book and discovered there's a new movie called "We have a Pope" that was just reviewed by Manohla Dargis in the New York Times. The review is entitled "A reluctant pontiff escapes to the streets." Hadrian isn't reluctant, he's got an agenda, and he takes to the streets.

I mentioned in a recent blog post that I was going to Detroit and staying at the Hostel Detroit that had been mentioned by my artist-friend Vagner Whitehead. It turns out that my step cousin who lives in Detroit happens to know the guy that manages the hostel and that his partner is a librarian AND that she's inviting us all over the supper on Saturday night AND that four of the six people in that crowd have forenames beginning with M.

My next cataloging gig is based at Columbia and I'm going down to the City for some training later this week. I just got back from an artist talk here in Alfred and get a pretty good diet of it. Still, I was excited to see that there was a panel on the "queer piers" show at Leslie/Lohman on Thursday night. I thought: OK. And then I read that there's a talk on Bosch and The Garden of Earthly Delights on Wednesday night.

Small world, full of coincidences, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment