14 November 2014

Market Arcade, Buffalo

Before heading back to Alfred, I stopped in at Burning Books which didn't have the book I wanted but it was a trip to be in such a politically correct bookshop. Then over to CEPA Gallery on Main Street. CEPA was founded in 1974. CEPA stands for Center for Exploratory and Perceptual Art. Right or wrong, I associate CEPA with several artists that started out in Buffalo, e.g., Cindy Sherman, Robert Longo, Hollis Frampton. Some stayed, some didn't. The CEPA Gallery is now located in the Market Arcade. I didn't know but I love an arcade. (This picture is from the Market Arcade Facebook page.)

["Wrong" as it turns out. It's Hallwalls that Cindy Sherman was associated with while studying in Buffalo. Sorry, CEPA. My car was parked on Tracy Street in the first spot Northwest of Delaware Avenue which means that my car was closer to Hallwalls than it was to CEPA. Galleryhopping takes a lot of research. Right now, I'm looking at Held together with water: art from the Sammlung Verbund (Hatje Cantz, 2007) and there's a section on the performative with an essay on Cindy Sherman.]

No comments:

Post a Comment