31 March 2018

Castello Mackenzie

When we were beginning to plan this trip to Italy, centering on Turin, there was one building in Genoa that was on my list: the Castello Mackenzie designed by Gino Coppedè. A couple of days here, after about two weeks in Milan and Turin, have taught me that I was shortsighted. It's all been miraculous. But I have now seen the Castello Mackenzie. It is as wild and crazy as anticipated:

But it is no longer singular. It's part of the Genoa that is so attractive and interesting. The hills and valleys, the art nouveau, the other styles, the old stuff, the new stuff. Oh, and the food. We've had some good meals including a lovely lunch at Osteria La Lanterna. I'm having a lot of trouble with the idea that we have to head back to Milan tomorrow so we can be ready for the return flight across the Atlantic next Wednesday.

We had a salad and sandwich for supper from the nearby La Toasteria after our full lunch. I went out later for a coffee. The rain had stopped. Folks were heading back home after supper, or just strolling because it wasn't raining anymore. The feeling on the streets was magical.

More photos in my Flickr photostream.

3 comments:

  1. In that first picture, it looked like a tower on top of a tower. Bautiful buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting all these picture highlights with commentary! I had always heard that Genoa was not the great city to visit (one rather prestigious art historian blogged recently about prostitutes hanging outside a major museum), but I'm glad to see & hear a positive response! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can even say that I'm anxious to return to Genoa. We spent most of our time in the old city, between Porta Soprana and Principe train station, the water and Via Garibaldi. Plus the trips to Nervi and the Castello Mackenzie. There's a whole 'nother city to be explored! P.S. We did see prostitutes down on sailor's row, near the harbor. Perhaps that prestigious art historian should get out and around more. And the Wolfsoniana was really fine, the aesthetic of the installation was much like the Florida building.

    ReplyDelete